Sunday, February 4, 2007

Kingdom of Heaven


I had avoided this film for some time. It looked interesting - I like Ridley Scott - but we're chronically behind on watching new DVDs and buying more just makes that worse. I borrowed a copy from one of my fellow teachers on her recommendation, though, and wanted to get it back from her promptly, so Shel and I watched this last night and I was very impressed. The film is very long, and sometimes convoluted, and I have some questions about historical authenticity that I will have to ask my colleague, but I cannot say enough about how visually stunning this film is. Perhaps I had forgotten that that is exactly why I like Ridley Scott's films so much. He knows how to make them look great.

Good acting. Good action. Interesting story. Too long. Visually stunning. 3/5 stars.