Saturday, January 5, 2008

New Camera


I was pretty happy with my old camera for the most part. A Samsung Digimax S800, Shel bought me the camera almost two years ago. It was easy to operate and with 8.1 megapixels, I could just shoot the general area where my desired photographic subject appeared and zoom in after the fact. It was small. It had a whole grip of special features, bells and whistles, and built-in editing capabilities. I liked the camera.

Until it died.

We were at a friend's house for New Years and it stopped. It wouldn't turn on. It wouldn't retract. It wouldn't do anything. I replaced the batteries and still got nothing. I took it to Sam's Club, where it was purchased, and they just asked for the stuff that went with it. We went home, found the geegaws and the receipt and took it back. Sam's club took back the "defective" camera and gave me a gift card. I turned around and bought a new camera, a Canon Powershot SX100 IS. So far, so good. I shot some test shots and am learning to use the thing. This has only 8.0 megapixels, but has a 10x optical zoom instead of the 3x of the old Samsung. I even took some footage of yesterday's weather and if I can get the internet to cooperate, I'll post it.