Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Core Capacities Index

As part of an online application today, I took a personality profile-type test. I find these endlessly fascinating. This one indicates that I'm especially good at inspiring others and taking inspiration from them, that wisdom is a chief value for me and that I'm seen (or more likely, if you think logically, I have come to believe that I am seen) by others as showing wisdom, that knowledge is a "cornerstone value" for me and that I have a desire to see right done in the world, but that I am not as pragmatic as some people.

I like the almost-condescendingly diplomatic language in which these personality test results are couched. I am endlessly fascinated by the value in further introspection provided by their insights. The people-don't-fit-neatly-into-boxes-so-we-made-a-differently-shaped-box attitude which necessarily underlies their creation is tremendously amusing to my heightened sense of irony. Most of all, I love graphical displays of data - this foreshortened square allows me, when queried "What kind of a person are you?" to respond "I'm a purplish-blue person with strong hints of green, but hardly red at all."