Saturday, December 22, 2007

Yule Absinthe

I so wanted to share this with you before now since I've been bursting to share - I bought Shel a bottle of absinthe for Yule and gave it to her today. She was completely surprised.
Long thought to be illegal in the U.S., absinthe is 124 proof liquor distilled from Grand Wormwood, anise, and other herbs. Mistakenly believed to be a poisonous hallucinogen, absinthe is a distinctive drink with an elaborate ritual in its consumption. Playing on Shel's belief that absinthe was illegal, I managed to keep this one a complete secret. I gave her a package of half-a-dozen absinthe spoons first, and she instantly recognized them, compounding her puzzlement. When she pulled out the bottle, she asked how I had gotten it - given that it was illegal.
Interested in a bottle of your own? Check out the Lucid website, or that of BevMo, which sells both Lucid and another brand of absinthe, KΓΌbler.