Thursday, November 22, 2007

Frustration

A coworker recently complained of his "fustration"[sic] with my work, explaining that, "Ray, I'm *fustrated - it's very *fustrating - and I'm not the only one. Your colleagues are *fustrated too."

I behaved myself. I didn't say what I wanted to. This was at the end of a long, hard day, and in the middle of a dressing-down sprung on me more-or-less out-of-the-blue indicating that dissatisfaction with my work has been kept from me by several intelligent, well-educated people with demonstrated communication skills and responsibility for helping me succeed as part of their team.

I refrained from saying "FRUSTRATING! IT'S 'FRUSTRATING,' YOU FUCKING MORON! I will not stand here and be told my business by a bucket-mouthed idiot who can't speak the fucking language! Your talking privileges have been revoked until you can demonstrate the ability to use them responsibly. I want to punch you in your fucking piehole for your assault against my language! Don't talk." That might have turned out poorly had I not exercised restraint.

By the way, prefacing a word or an utterance with an asterisk is a linguistic convention for indicating or acknowledging that the word or utterance is non-standard.

Some people need to be prefaced by an asterisk.