Thursday, July 5, 2007

Independence Day


For some, it's a chance to take a well-deserved break from work, drink beer, and watch pretty sparklies. For some, it's a chance to gather together with friends and watch them endanger themselves and one another with improvised explosive devices. For still others, it's a commemoration of the Founding-Fathers' formal declaration that we would no longer be subject to a tyrannical government apathetic to our needs.

We spent the fourth of July at a friend's house. This afternoon (or, technically, yesterday afternoon), I drank more than I usually do and ate way too much. Then, I watched fireworks (a bunch of them), and I thought about the symbolism. I thought about "The bombs bursting in air." I thought of cold, hungry soldiers in trenches tensing themselves for battle that will come after an eternity to dread its coming or when least expected. I thought of the horror of warfare and how remote political ideals must feel when one fears for their life.

I thought "The price we pay for freedom - the price we pay to worship and to speak and assemble and self-govern is a high one. It's a terrible price.

"And I believe that our freedoms are worth that price."

I put great stock in this quote from Benjamin Franklin:
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
I hope that your Independence Day was joyous and festive.